What Is Ideal Posture?
A couple of weeks ago, Troy created a blog post about training the handstand. Obviously, as coaches, our goal is to help the gymnasts develop a handstand that is straight as possible. But, just what exactly is ideal posture???
Well, ideal posture is defined as a straight line passing through….
Photo taken from:
Oatis, C.A. Kinesiology: The Mechanics & Pathomechanics of Human Movement, 5th ed. Lippincott et al., 2004.
- the ear lobe
- the bodies of the cervical vertebrae
- the tip of the shoulder
- mid-way through the thorax
- the bodies of the lumbar vertebrae
- slightly posterior (behind) to the hip joint
- slightly anterior (in front of) to knee joint axis
- slightly anterior to the lateral malleolus (ankle bone)